Home Contractor Checklist
Hiring the right contractor can ensure that all of the work that is done on your home is done right. With thousands of contractors out there, it can also be very difficult to make sure that you choose the right one. Keep this contractor checklist in mind to ensure that you hire the right contractor for your home renovation job.
When finding a contractor:
- Check with the homebuilder’s association in your local area.
- Get referrals from family, friends, and coworkers who have recently had work done on their homes.
- Make a list of reputable contractors before you actually need one. The stress of needing to find a contractor as soon as possible can make it much more difficult to ensure that you choose the right one.
When vetting a contractor:
- Check out what trade association they belong to and check for a code of ethics, trade exams, and minimum hours of satisfactory work.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to the state attorney general’s office to find out if there are any complaints filed against the contractor.
What paperwork to look for:
- Their contractor’s license.
- A certificate for both general liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance.
- A warranty for the specific work that they will do on your home.
- A list of references from other homeowners who had similar work done to their home.
- A detailed quote that itemizes all of the labor and material that will be used.
- A written contract that details the work to be done, cost, guarantees, time schedules, payment schedules, and any other expectations from the job.
When making renovations to your home, having the right homeowners insurance policy is the best way to ensure that you stay protected. Contact the insurance professionals at DG&M Agency in Rochester, New York for all of your home insurance needs.