With the summer season just around the corner, it is the perfect time to start planning for your summer vacation with the whole family. While packing your suitcase and picking the perfect destination, it is also important to make sure that you know how to keep your home safe while you are away. Keep these home protection tips in mind to ensure that you come home to a house that looks exactly how you left it.
- Talk with your local police department and let them know that you will be out of town, ask them to drive by and do periodic checks to ensure safety.
- Ask your neighbor to keep an eye on your house while you are gone. If they see anything suspicious, ask them to call the police. Also, ask if they can park one of their cars in your driveway to make it look like someone is home.
- Keep your front yard well taken care of, including mowing the lawn and trimming the bushes. An overgrown yard can be a tell-tale sign that the house is empty.
- If you have a house phone, turn down the ringer all the way. If a burglar can hear an unanswered phone ringing, they will assume that the home is vacant.
- Do not advertise your trip on any form of social media. Burglars look on social media and can figure out exactly how much time they have to break into your house.
- Put a hold on all of your mail at the post office so that your mailbox does not start to overflow.
Having the right homeowners insurance policy can help to ensure that your house and assets stay safe while you are on vacation. Contact DG&M Agency in Rochester, New York for all of your home insurance needs.