Coverage For Water Damage

Water Damage

During heavy spring storms, you may find that your basement, or lowest level of your house is filled with water. While this means that you will have to make an insurance claim, do you know what insurance policy will cover the damages? Knowing the difference between water backup, seepage, and a flood will help to ensure that you make a claim to the right company.

A water backup happens when a sewer backs up into your home, typically through your sump pump well. Sump pump failures can occur due to motor failures or power outages. Luckily, the damage that is caused during a water backup will most likely be covered with an endorsement that you can add to your homeowner’s insurance policy.

Seepage is any water that makes its way into your house through cracks in the foundation, and it most likely not covered by any of your insurance policies. Hiring a professional to waterproof your foundation can help to reduce your risk of having to deal with a seepage issue.

A flood is any excess water on land that is typically dry, which can cause water to make its way into your house through a door or window. Floods typically happen when larger bodies of water, such as a river overflow during a heavy storm or when the winter snowpack starts melting. It is important to keep in mind that your homeowners insurance will not provide any coverage for damage that is done during a flood. Only a specific flood insurance policy will cover any repairs that need to be made after a flood.

Contact the insurance professionals at DG&M Agency in Rochester, New York for all of your flood insurance needs. As an independent insurance agency, we will work with you to ensure that you have the coverage that you deserve.