National Distracted Driving Awareness Month
April is recognized as National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, which makes this month the perfect time to look at your driving habits to see if there are any steps that you can take to be safer while on the road. Keep these distracted driving prevention tips in mind to stay safe each time you get behind the wheel.
- Never use your cell phone to make a phone call or send a text message while you are driving. If you have to have a conversation, pull over to a safe spot off of the road.
- Avoid using your mirrors to fix your hair or makeup. Any touchups that you have to make can wait until you arrive at your destination.
- Do not smoke while you are driving. Not only is it a deadly habit, but you will focus more on not burning your fingers than what is going on ahead of you.
- Limit the conversations that you have with your passengers. If you have multiple people in your car, ask them to keep their voices down so that you can concentrate on the road.
- Do not adjust your radio or change CDs when you are driving. If you do not like the music that is on, wait until you are completely stopped to change the tunes.
- Finish whatever you are eating or drinking before you head out on the road so that both of your hands can stay on the wheel.
- Pre-program your GPS before you start driving. Trying to put in an address while you are driving can take your attention away from the road while also taking your hands off of the wheel.
Having the right auto insurance policy can help to protect you from distracted drivers. Contact the insurance professionals at DG&M Agency in Rochester, New York for all of your car insurance coverage needs.